Home of Performance Cars and Trucks!
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome to XplicitPerformance!!!!
Latest topics
» whats going on every one is gone or what!!!!
August 18th 2015, 13:13 by XplicitPerformance

» old member from rgv carlos with 78 vette
December 25th 2014, 23:35 by stingreyvette78

» kid+m3=lol
August 8th 2014, 13:28 by godmachine

» WANTED: T-5 TRANSMISSION
July 29th 2014, 10:28 by blksaleen

» whats going on Dru?
May 29th 2014, 23:15 by XplicitPerformance

» 2003 Torch Red Turbo Cobra For Sale!
April 24th 2014, 17:36 by Trailer Trash Racer

» Brand new 18" 2014 Mustang GT premium wheels & tires for sale.
January 4th 2014, 16:43 by Sneaky Snake

» WANTED5.0 302 cu engine
October 21st 2013, 11:15 by blksaleen

» newbie from houston,tx
August 30th 2013, 15:43 by neto_esa panic

Similar topics
August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031   
CalendarCalendar
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 33 on February 1st 2012, 18:20
XplicitPerformance Links
Xplicit Myspace Xplicit YouTube Xplicit Facebook Houston Auto Locators Facbook Clear Lake Speed

Share | 
 

 AOD-E trans with what gear

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Str8racn
Member
Member
avatar

Posts : 131
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 47
Location : Houston, Texas

PostSubject: AOD-E trans with what gear   November 16th 2011, 12:07

Okay, I have a deal on the table for a transmission AOD-E rebuilt with a 1000 miles on it with a trans go shift kit
even up for a navigation radio trade.

Now, I am buying a Ford Racing rear end rebuild kit with all the goodies, but what gear do I go with. The tires I currently have on the rear are 275 40 ZR18S. I am considering a 3.55, 3.73 or 4.10 Ford Racing ring and pinion set.

I have read and read and searched about the pros and cons of each gear. 3.55 and 3.73 being more of a street strip gear with the 4.10 some what streetable with higher RPMS at cruisings speeds. Also, I have read with a 2 inch taller tire than normal it brings the gear back down which is why I ask the question on opinions. I am NOT sure I will stick wtih this tire or not.

Suggetion away bounce
Back to top Go down
BrutalSierra
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
avatar

Posts : 575
Join date : 2011-07-07
Age : 33
Location : League City

PostSubject: Re: AOD-E trans with what gear   November 16th 2011, 12:42

Is this your daily? It really depends upon how you see the car ending up.
DO you want an a 1/4 mile and stop light race car or a mild street mannered daily?

If your not going to boost it id say at least a 3.73 and if you don't mind cruising down the freeway with a loud exhaust note and lower mpgs id put in the 4.10's

If it was my car i would throw some 4.10's and a nice converter on it and start playing!

Don't forget to add a big trans cooler like the TruCool 40K!!
Back to top Go down
Str8racn
Member
Member
avatar

Posts : 131
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 47
Location : Houston, Texas

PostSubject: Re: AOD-E trans with what gear   November 16th 2011, 12:55

I did forget to add that part. It is going to be my daily, BUT I don't mind losing a few MPGs.

I will either be all motor or spray. I have a 2500 stall converter already. The exhaust I have is VERY loud as it is already lol. My goal is mid 12s, low 13s on a daily drive fun driving car.

I have in the budget for a transmission cooler also. I am leaning towards the 4.10s, but wanted some opinions. I have been recommended the 3.55 for an all around gear which is tempting.

It may come down to what I want more and roll the dice. Gear setups aren't that badly priced, so if I don't like the gear intially I go with, may switch at a later time.

Thank you for the input.
Back to top Go down
Trailer Trash Racer
XP Member
XP Member
avatar

Posts : 1856
Join date : 2010-02-03
Age : 29
Location : Houston, Texas

PostSubject: Re: AOD-E trans with what gear   November 16th 2011, 12:56

Ahh, I have 3.08's in my fox currently.... last time I drove it 6 yrs ago, that bish was a cruiser! lol. I'm going to go with 3.55's though. Gives it plenty of manners for the street still, & for my type of racing it'll suit it just fine (autocross & some road racing). I've driven a few MANUAL foxes with 3.73's and they just weren't for ME. If my car was more of a straight line & weekend car, I would've gone with the 3.73's though.

_________________
"As I drive through the valley of Imports I fear no Turbo... For Torque is with me."
Back to top Go down
Str8racn
Member
Member
avatar

Posts : 131
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 47
Location : Houston, Texas

PostSubject: Re: AOD-E trans with what gear   November 16th 2011, 13:11

I measured the tire and looks like it is 26.6 inches tall
Back to top Go down
v8sten
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
avatar

Posts : 838
Join date : 2010-02-03
Age : 34
Location : Pasadena

PostSubject: Re: AOD-E trans with what gear   November 16th 2011, 13:44

i have personally tried them all in my s10 from 3.08 - 4.30. a 3.08, 3.23, 3.50, 3.73, 3.89 there were no change in E.T. just mph. of coarse the higher number i went the less top end speed i had. a 4.10 and 4.30 were ruthless out of the hole but i had no top end. hell a 4.30 i was topped out before the 1/4 mile. but out of all the gears i tried i liked the 3.50 the most. it gave me the best of all worlds. could i have gone faster with the 4.10 in the 1/4, yes. could i have gone 200+ mph with a 3.08, probably. at times i drove my truck everyday and the 3.50 gear drove the best on the street. i still went high 9's with that gear
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/don94
BrutalSierra
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
avatar

Posts : 575
Join date : 2011-07-07
Age : 33
Location : League City

PostSubject: Re: AOD-E trans with what gear   November 16th 2011, 13:56

Str8racn wrote:
I measured the tire and looks like it is 26.6 inches tall

Holy shit those are some short tires!
Back to top Go down
FourEyedFan
Member
Member
avatar

Posts : 200
Join date : 2011-10-25
Age : 35
Location : Houston

PostSubject: Re: AOD-E trans with what gear   November 16th 2011, 21:14

BrutalSierra wrote:
Str8racn wrote:
I measured the tire and looks like it is 26.6 inches tall

Holy shit those are some short tires!

For a sierra maybe lol JK
Back to top Go down
FourEyedFan
Member
Member
avatar

Posts : 200
Join date : 2011-10-25
Age : 35
Location : Houston

PostSubject: Re: AOD-E trans with what gear   November 16th 2011, 21:15

Str8racn wrote:
Okay, I have a deal on the table for a transmission AOD-E rebuilt with a 1000 miles on it with a trans go shift kit
even up for a navigation radio trade.

Now, I am buying a Ford Racing rear end rebuild kit with all the goodies, but what gear do I go with. The tires I currently have on the rear are 275 40 ZR18S. I am considering a 3.55, 3.73 or 4.10 Ford Racing ring and pinion set.

I have read and read and searched about the pros and cons of each gear. 3.55 and 3.73 being more of a street strip gear with the 4.10 some what streetable with higher RPMS at cruisings speeds. Also, I have read with a 2 inch taller tire than normal it brings the gear back down which is why I ask the question on opinions. I am NOT sure I will stick wtih this tire or not.

Suggetion away bounce

I would go with the 3.73, everything I have read and researched supports vsten cheers
Back to top Go down
BrutalSierra
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
avatar

Posts : 575
Join date : 2011-07-07
Age : 33
Location : League City

PostSubject: Re: AOD-E trans with what gear   November 16th 2011, 21:58

FourEyedFan wrote:
BrutalSierra wrote:
Str8racn wrote:
I measured the tire and looks like it is 26.6 inches tall

Holy shit those are some short tires!

For a sierra maybe lol JK

I'm actually thinking about running some 285/60/17's or 275/55/17's if I can ever wear out the damn general work truck tires.
Back to top Go down
Str8racn
Member
Member
avatar

Posts : 131
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 47
Location : Houston, Texas

PostSubject: Re: AOD-E trans with what gear   November 17th 2011, 08:08

Not sure exactly why, but most suggest the 3.73 is more for a manual. Could it be because of 5th and 6th gears with the taller gear work better for the powerband range? LOL

Back to top Go down
XplicitPerformance
Admin
avatar

Posts : 8916
Join date : 2010-02-03
Age : 36
Location : SE Houston

PostSubject: Re: AOD-E trans with what gear   November 17th 2011, 10:45

4.10s would probably suit you best but if you are going to spray the car than stick with the 3.73s. I still think the 4.10s will be fine on the n2o and you should have plenty of gear to get thru the trap in the 1/4.

Don had a TH350 so he was out of gear LOL

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://xplicitperformance.phpbbtest.com
Str8racn
Member
Member
avatar

Posts : 131
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 47
Location : Houston, Texas

PostSubject: Re: AOD-E trans with what gear   November 17th 2011, 10:54

XplicitPerformance wrote:
4.10s would probably suit you best but if you are going to spray the car than stick with the 3.73s. I still think the 4.10s will be fine on the n2o and you should have plenty of gear to get thru the trap in the 1/4.

Don had a TH350 so he was out of gear LOL

LMAO

Yeah after some more research think that I will go with the 4.10. I don't do much Hwy driving at all, so going with it.

Back to top Go down
v8sten
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
avatar

Posts : 838
Join date : 2010-02-03
Age : 34
Location : Pasadena

PostSubject: Re: AOD-E trans with what gear   November 17th 2011, 11:04

XplicitPerformance wrote:
4.10s would probably suit you best but if you are going to spray the car than stick with the 3.73s. I still think the 4.10s will be fine on the n2o and you should have plenty of gear to get thru the trap in the 1/4.

Don had a TH350 so he was out of gear LOL

you dont used overdrive in a drag race. at least your not supposed to
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/don94
Str8racn
Member
Member
avatar

Posts : 131
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 47
Location : Houston, Texas

PostSubject: Re: AOD-E trans with what gear   November 17th 2011, 11:29

v8sten wrote:
XplicitPerformance wrote:
4.10s would probably suit you best but if you are going to spray the car than stick with the 3.73s. I still think the 4.10s will be fine on the n2o and you should have plenty of gear to get thru the trap in the 1/4.

Don had a TH350 so he was out of gear LOL

you dont used overdrive in a drag race. at least your not supposed to

Just don't want to top out, not planning on it for drag racing, but freeway driving, there very few times
I am on it. Like races at Ennis or San Antonio raceway, if I decide to drive those places again.

Thank you everyone for you input, sharing experiences, etc. Nice to have a good group to bounce things off of
to make a better informed decision.
Back to top Go down
BrutalSierra
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
avatar

Posts : 575
Join date : 2011-07-07
Age : 33
Location : League City

PostSubject: Re: AOD-E trans with what gear   November 17th 2011, 12:07

Str8racn wrote:
v8sten wrote:
XplicitPerformance wrote:
4.10s would probably suit you best but if you are going to spray the car than stick with the 3.73s. I still think the 4.10s will be fine on the n2o and you should have plenty of gear to get thru the trap in the 1/4.

Don had a TH350 so he was out of gear LOL

you dont used overdrive in a drag race. at least your not supposed to

Just don't want to top out, not planning on it for drag racing, but freeway driving, there very few times
I am on it. Like races at Ennis or San Antonio raceway, if I decide to drive those places again.

Thank you everyone for you input, sharing experiences, etc. Nice to have a good group to bounce things off of
to make a better informed decision.



I found this.....

For AODE cars, 3.73's are still a good choice but we recommend 4.10 gears. A 4.10 may sound extremely steep, but because the AODE's 1st gear is higher (numerically low) and 4th gear (overdrive) is steeper than the T-5, it's a very good choice for the driver interested in making their car perform better.
Back to top Go down
Str8racn
Member
Member
avatar

Posts : 131
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 47
Location : Houston, Texas

PostSubject: Re: AOD-E trans with what gear   November 17th 2011, 12:30

BrutalSierra wrote:
Str8racn wrote:
v8sten wrote:
XplicitPerformance wrote:
4.10s would probably suit you best but if you are going to spray the car than stick with the 3.73s. I still think the 4.10s will be fine on the n2o and you should have plenty of gear to get thru the trap in the 1/4.

Don had a TH350 so he was out of gear LOL

you dont used overdrive in a drag race. at least your not supposed to

Just don't want to top out, not planning on it for drag racing, but freeway driving, there very few times
I am on it. Like races at Ennis or San Antonio raceway, if I decide to drive those places again.

Thank you everyone for you input, sharing experiences, etc. Nice to have a good group to bounce things off of
to make a better informed decision.



I found this.....

For AODE cars, 3.73's are still a good choice but we recommend 4.10 gears. A 4.10 may sound extremely steep, but because the AODE's 1st gear is higher (numerically low) and 4th gear (overdrive) is steeper than the T-5, it's a very good choice for the driver interested in making their car perform better.

Awesome. THANK YOU!! Looks like 4.10 it is then. study
Back to top Go down
v8sten
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
avatar

Posts : 838
Join date : 2010-02-03
Age : 34
Location : Pasadena

PostSubject: Re: AOD-E trans with what gear   November 17th 2011, 15:00

i did the math and i think my coupe has a 4.10 in it with an AODE at 2350RPM i an cruising at 65MPH
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/don94
Str8racn
Member
Member
avatar

Posts : 131
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 47
Location : Houston, Texas

PostSubject: Re: AOD-E trans with what gear   November 17th 2011, 15:10

v8sten wrote:
i did the math and i think my coupe has a 4.10 in it with an AODE at 2350RPM i an cruising at 65MPH

Not to bad then cheers
Back to top Go down
BrutalSierra
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
avatar

Posts : 575
Join date : 2011-07-07
Age : 33
Location : League City

PostSubject: Re: AOD-E trans with what gear   November 17th 2011, 16:50

and from what i understand ford racing sells their gears dirt cheap!
Back to top Go down
Str8racn
Member
Member
avatar

Posts : 131
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 47
Location : Houston, Texas

PostSubject: Re: AOD-E trans with what gear   November 17th 2011, 16:57

BrutalSierra wrote:
and from what i understand ford racing sells their gears dirt cheap!

Yes they do and from what I have read about most of the other gears out there. They are not noisey when
setup correctly. Motive gears and even Richmond reviews are not that good as far as I have read. Sticking with Ford Racing gears along with Ford racing complete rebuild kit with shims for the rear end.
Back to top Go down
XplicitPerformance
Admin
avatar

Posts : 8916
Join date : 2010-02-03
Age : 36
Location : SE Houston

PostSubject: Re: AOD-E trans with what gear   November 17th 2011, 20:22

v8sten wrote:
i did the math and i think my coupe has a 4.10 in it with an AODE at 2350RPM i an cruising at 65MPH

hell pull the diff cover and service that thing. You can tell real easy what gear is in it then! LOL

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://xplicitperformance.phpbbtest.com
v8sten
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
avatar

Posts : 838
Join date : 2010-02-03
Age : 34
Location : Pasadena

PostSubject: Re: AOD-E trans with what gear   November 17th 2011, 20:40

i dont wanna
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/don94
Trailer Trash Racer
XP Member
XP Member
avatar

Posts : 1856
Join date : 2010-02-03
Age : 29
Location : Houston, Texas

PostSubject: Re: AOD-E trans with what gear   November 17th 2011, 21:49

v8sten wrote:
i dont wanna

LOL


Yeah, I'd get the full rebuild kit too as that's what I'm planning to do on mine. When my brother got his 3.73's put in, he did the same just for piece of mind.
Back to top Go down
Str8racn
Member
Member
avatar

Posts : 131
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 47
Location : Houston, Texas

PostSubject: Re: AOD-E trans with what gear   November 18th 2011, 11:49

Yeah rebuild and then some. Plans are Ford racing complete rebuild kit for rear end, Ford racing Posi/trak lock assembly, Ford racing 4.10 ring and pinion set, and Ford racing lightened drive shaft with new u-joints.

Picked up the rebuilt auto AOD-E transmission last night, just need the TCC solenoid. It has a TransGo shift kit in it already and not sure what converter it has, but it is blue.

Once I get the driveline completed, I will be ready to move forward to the engine area. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: AOD-E trans with what gear   

Back to top Go down
 
AOD-E trans with what gear
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» New to me RIv with trans problems, no 3rd or 4th
» 4t65...what commands 4th gear?
» 65 A100 Gear oil or ATF?
» 1st attempt at a MTD vari drive and 3 speed manual trans mutation
» 5th Gear Swap (.pdf)

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
XplicitPerformance.com :: General Tech :: Ford Tech-
Jump to: